Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lion House Wassail

I made this for our RS Christmas dinner last night and it was easily the best Wassail recipe I've ever tried. I found it on allrecipes.com. Once I finished the first step, I put it aside and then put everything in the crockpot. I also used cheesecloth for the spices so I didn't have to strain them out later. This was so good! It tasted just like the Stephen's Citrus Spice drink... my very favorite Stephen's drink.

2 cups white sugar
4 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 slice fresh ginger root (I didn't use this because I couldn't find any... and it was just as good!)
4 cups orange juice
2 cups lemon juice
8 cups apple juice
8 whole allspice berries
1 tablespoon whole cloves

1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, cloves, and ginger. Cover and let stand in warm place for 1 hour.

2. Strain liquid into a large pot. Just before serving, add juices and cider and quickly bring to boil. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments: