Thursday, January 7, 2010

Moo Goo Gai Pan (Mushroom Chicken)


Mmmmmm. Yum! I made this a year or so ago with Buggy when we had a chinese night, but we combined so many recipes I didn't which ones I used. I didn't really keep track of what I used from what recipe or how much I used, for that matter. But I decided to try it again for dinner group last night and I even printed the recipes I used and wrote down my changes! It was very good too!!

So here ya go:

3 big chicken breast halves
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
1 small can sliced bamboo shoots - rinsed
1 small can water chestnuts, sliced - rinsed
3 t. ground ginger
1 t. minced garlic

Sauce:
1 c. chicken broth
1-2 T. oyster sauce
1 T. cornstarch (or more, if needed)

Marinade:
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. rice wine (I used rice vinegar because I couldn't find the wine)
1 few drops of sesame oil
1 T. cornstarch

Oil for stir frying

Directions:
Cut chicken breasts into strips and mix with the marinade for 15-20 minutes.

While chicken is marinading, chop up all your vegetables. I bought mine already sliced, so that made things a lot easier.

Prepare sauce ingredients and set aside.

Heat wok and add oil. Stir fry the chicken until it changes color. The recipe then says to set aside, but I didn't. I just cooked the rest all together. Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Stir the sauce one more time and then add to the chicken mixture in the Wok. Cook and stir until the sauce has thickened.

Serve hot over Fried Rice. Mmmmm.

1 comment:

Mythreesons said...

OK... so after making these, there a couple changes I'll make next time I make it. Mainly, I'll leave out the bamboo shoots and possible even the water chestnuts. The just gave everything a funny canned taste and make everything smell bad. Once I picked those out, the stuff tasted really good. But it was hard to get past the smell of the bamboo shoots.