Monday, March 29, 2010

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Ooooooh. These are good! Soooo good. I found them on Our Best Bites and made a few adjustments and they were soooo good!! And I was so proud of myself for actually making something from scratch (as opposed to what I usually do, which is find a recipe that uses a cake mix). They were pretty easy (as easy as it gets without a cake mix, that is), and sooooo good. Did I mention these are sooo good yet? Cause they are. Really. Really. Good. Yum. I'm drooling.

Okay, on to the recipe now. Oh, by the way, these are good. Mmmmm.

Cookies:
1 c. butter flavored Crisco ( I only had regular, so that's what I used and they were still good. Really. good.)
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
3 eggs
3 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Filling:
1 c. nutella (her recipe calls for PB, but that was just too much PB for my liking)
1/2 c. real butter, softened
4 c. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
5-6 T. milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream shortening, peanut butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in vanilla, and eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to dough. Mix to combine. The dough will be very soft- that's normal!
Roll into balls, place on cookie sheet (no need to grease it). You can squish them with a fork it you want to get the criss-cross pattern, but I found they looked prettier without it.

Bake them for about 6-7 minutes. You want them to stay soft, so don't let them get brown. Remove them from pan and cool on a cooling rack.

To make the filling, whip the nutella and butter together until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Then add milk one T at a time. You may not need it all. You want the filling to be on the thick side, it should just have enough milk in it to make it easily spreadable.

I put the filling in a zip-lock bag with the edge cut off to make filling easy. Place filling on one cookie and sandwich another on top. This makes a LOT of frosting...just so you know.

These cookies were sooooo good. And the frosting was pretty dang good too. Dad and Karen kept just sneaking the frosting and wanted to lick the bowl clean when I was finished (ya, did I mention I didn't use half the frosting...?)

1 comment:

brian b. said...

yummy for my tummy!