Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chicken Salad Sandwich

I am a little bit picky about my food (which is odd considering I grew up with my Mother's cooking...). There are certain things I do not like and refuse to eat. For example: I don't like anything fruity on meat. That just seems so gross to me. I know that makes me uncultured, but oh well.

But, I will make a few exceptions. This recipe is one of them.

I've been looking for a good chicken salad recipe for a long time and looked everywhere on-line, asked family etc., but didn't really find anything that seemed right to me. So I just combined a bunch of the ingredients from various recipes and made up my own!  And I must say, even with chicken and apple chunks, it's pretty darn good. :)

What you'll need:
3 c. cubed chicken, I used canned, drained chicken here, about 20 oz.
3/4 c. mayo
1 T. mustard
1 stalk celery, diced
3 green onions, sliced small
2 hard boiled eggs, diced
1/2 apple, diced
1/4 c. pickle relish (I used dill sandwich slices and diced them)
1/2 t. parsley
salt
pepper
croissants or sliced bread
lettuce
tomato

Optional:
Almond slices (my hubby doesn't like nuts)
grapes (apples was pushing it for me...more fruit just didn't work for me)
craisins ( I would've put these in, but I didn't have any)

This comes together pretty quick. Drain the chicken and mix with the mayo and mustard. Once combined, add the celery, onions, egg, apple, relish and seasonings. Fold together.

Serve on croissants with lettuce and tomato or just plain. Enjoy!

For those of you who can never remember how to hard boil an egg (like me!): place your eggs in a small pot and cover them with water and turn them to med-high heat. Once they come to a boil, boil them for 6 minutes. Rinse with cold water and peel the shell off.

1 comment:

Smart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.