Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes with Berry Sauce

I have never really thought I was a fan of blueberries. They were fine in a mix of frozen berries, but just plain blueberry didn't ever do much for me. Well, my Mom told me that there is a huge difference between freshly picked blueberries and store bought blueberries. I thought that was ridiculous and didn't give it much credence. However, this last week I went blueberry picking with my little girl and yesterday we made our Blueberry muffins and today, I made us blueberry pancakes. Can I just say I rescind all former thoughts or comments about not liking blueberries?! They are so so good! There really is a difference in fresh blueberries. They are more sweet and plump and when you cook them, my goodness something beautiful happens.

So this pancake recipe was one I found on Taste of Home and the pancake itself was a really good one, but then pair it with this Berry Sauce and these pancakes were awesome!
Ingredients
Berry sauce
1/2 C. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 C. Cold Water
3 C. Berries - I used blueberries and Strawberries, but I'm sure any combination of berries would be really yummy

Pancakes
2 C. Flour
1/4 C. Sugar
4 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1 1/2 C. Milk
1 C. Sour Cream
1/3 C. Butter, melted
1 heaping cup of fresh, or frozen blueberries

This recipe will make about 15-20 pancakes. I halved it, which was interesting with the amts. like 1/4 c. sugar. But, I didn't need 15-20 pancakes, so I halved it and got 7. Perfect for my little family of 3. However, I didn't halve the amount of berries in either the sauce or the pancakes. I used about 2/3 of what the recipe called for the berries.



Sauce Directions
In a medium saucepan stir together the cornstarch and sugar, add in the cold water, bring to a boil and stir constantly. Stir in the berries and continuing stirring constantly, the mixture will thicken after a couple minutes. Turn the heat down and stir for a few more minutes, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Pancake Directions
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine the eggs, milk, sour cream and butter in a separate bowl. Then mix the moist ingredients in with the dry ingredients and fold in the berries.
Heat griddle to medium heat, grease with Pam or Butter and cook until bubbles form, then flip over.
Top your pancakes with a square of butter and berry sauce, sit down to eat your dainty one pancake, then scold yourself for going back for seconds, and then thirds. Enjoy!


No comments: