Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Asparagus...the not so healthy way


I am a huge fan of the roasted asparagus recipe we have on the blog here. It's my go-to recipe when I have fresh asparagus on hand. I love it. I bought some asparagus a few days back and needed to use it up before it started to look, well, un-fresh. :) I started putting stuff together and then remembered that I was out of rosemary. Doh! So I looked everywhere for the parmesan asparagus recipe that I've seen floating around Pinterest, and couldn't find it. So I decided to improvise.

I had asparagus on hand. Mushrooms, check. Parmesan cheese, check. BACON, CHECK! Yes, I decided to add bacon. Everything is better with bacon, right? Yes. Yes, it is. Let's just say it did not disappoint.

So here you have it, the not-so-healthy-way to roast asparagus, but it sure is good!

What you'll need:
1-2 bunches fresh asparagus
6-7 sliced mushrooms
5-6 pieces of uncooked bacon, cut into pieces (1 slice = 5 pieces)
1/2 c. of Parmesan cheese
Olive Oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 F. Cover a cookie sheet tin foil.

Wash the asparagus and break off the ends. Arrange them on your cookie sheet. Sprinkle the sliced mushrooms over the asparagus. Same with the cut up bacon pieces.

Lightly, and I mean VERY lightly, sprinkle some olive oil over everything and pop it in the oven (you don't need much oil, because the bacon is going to get greasy). Bake for 15 minutes or until it is almost done. Pull it out, sprinkle the 1/2 c. parmesan cheese on top and put it back in for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the asparagus us tender.

Enjoy- this is great! You don't even need any salt or pepper (the bacon is enough for your heart attack. :)

1 comment: